UVA Prehospital Services Vision:
UVA Health System liaison to EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement and Communication Centers for education, quality assurance and feedback to assure excellence in patient care from first medical contact throughout their care within the Health System.
The Prehospital program is currently both BLS and ALS accredited with the Virginia Office of EMS. The accreditation allows us to provide EMT classes as well as AEMT classes. We are very excited to continue to provide high quality EMS classes to our partners.
2024 Spring EMT
UVA Prehospital Hybrid EMT - January 15, 2024 to May 22, 2024
- Online learning system with labs
- Hospital Clinical rotations consisting of one adult emergency department rotation
- Lab class location - 2205 Fontaine Avenue, Suite 302, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Additional Costs: Paper text Book (not required)
- Class registration: EMT Class Registration
- Seats limited to 16 students
2024 Spring AEMT
AEMT Classes begin on January 22, 2024 to May 16, 2024
- Online learning system with labs in five full day sessions
- Hospital Clinical rotations consisting of two adult and one pediatric emergency department rotations
- Field rotations done with local agencies or your home agency when approved
- Class location - 2205 Fontaine Avenue, Suite 302, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Cost: $1575 (Includes Online Learning system, online text book and program shirt for clinical and lab rotations)
- Additional Costs: Paper text Book, Cognitive exam, clinical parking
- Applications will be emailed to you upon completion of the registration process for pretesting. Please complete the online registration form for further information
- To register for the pretest UVA AEMT Hybrid Registration
For more information, email: Robinclark@virginia.edu
2023 EMT EWYL
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Trainee - Earn While You Learn Program
The UVA Earn While You Learn Trainee Program provides structured coursework and paid on-the-job-training as a full-time, benefitted employee.
For additional Information including a video presentation and how to apply, please follow the link or scan the QR Code. Once on the page, look for Programs, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Trainee:
Free Continuing Education
- Location: online
- Please follow the link: Free Continuing Education for Virginia EMS Providers
Starting October 1, 2022, the National Registry of EMT's now allows full completion of continuing education (CE) through approved third-party vendors, providing a more convenient and flexible option for EMTs to fulfill their educational requirements.
Only Continuing Education (CE) from the approved vendors listed above will be accepted, as they have met rigorous reporting and course content standards established by OEMS. Completion of courses from non-approved websites will not be credited toward certification.
For further details, please follow the link: Asynchronous Online Continuing Education
Purpose: Agencies or providers that are seeking feedback regarding your patient outcomes to promote better patient care and knowledge can request feedback from email@example.com
Purpose: Extend hospital services/recommendations into the prehospital environment
3. Performance Improvement
Purpose: Collect data for registries and accreditation. Provide internal and external patient care feedback to agencies to improve patient outcomes.
Examples: STEMI feedback, Stroke Feedback, Trauma PI, Call sheet review, Be Safe
4. EMS Internal Representation and Advocacy
Purpose: Advocate for EMS within UVA Health.
Examples: QST Stroke Meeting, QST Cath Lab Meeting, Trauma PI, ED-C3 Emergency Dept Meeting
5. EMS Education
Purpose: To promote certification and re-certification of EMS members and agencies in line with national standards and hospital guidelines and initiatives.
Clients: EMS/Fire Agencies, dispatch centers and the general community in the Central Virginia area, with occasional extension in other geographic areas within Virginia.
Types: Initial EMT and AEMT Classes (State Accredited), regional/state/national conferences, Stress First Aid, STEMI Showdown and any other EMS/community educational needs
- Ped ITLS
- Advance Bleeding Control with blood estimation
6. Coordination of EMS Clinical Time within the UVA Health System
Purpose: Unified scheduling of all internal and external prehospital providers
Types: Local EMT courses, PVCC EMS students
Follow us on Social Media: