Welcome & Assimilate
New employees need to understand their role and what is expected of them to feel socially comfortable and accepted within the department. It is important for new employees to also understand the UVA Medical Center culture by learning departmental norms, organizational practices, goals and values. The Welcome & Assimilate process ensures that new employees have the information, access, tools and other resources they need to effectively carry out their duties. Purposeful action on behalf of the manager also helps to improve the level of teamwork and engagement throughout the department.
Available Resources & Tools
- Pre-Hire Checklist
Before a new employee arrives, it is critical to plan in advance so he/she can "hit the ground running"
A list of recommended tasks to complete in preparation for the new team member's arrival (i.e. - arranging appropriate systems access, preparing welcome resources, etc.).
- New Team Member Meetings
Guides to help managers ensure they are covering the right information at the right time. Scripted questions are also provided to help glean information about the employee's onboarding experience. This process helps to establish relationships built on a foundation of trust.
Week 2 Meeting
Includes a checklist of required items to complete for your new team member and specific questions to ask the team member during your1st one-on-one meeting (conducted within the team member's second week of employment).
Used in conjunction with the Uteam Onboarding Documents. Provides a list of clinically related discussion items and expectations to review with the new team member at the conclusion of his/her first clinical week of employment.
Month 1 Meeting
Includes a checklist of required items to complete after your team member's first month of employment and questions to ask the team member during your second one-on-one meeting.
Includes a checklist of required items to complete after your team member's third month of employment and questions to ask the team member during your third one-on-one meeting.
- Buddy Program
Each new team member is assigned a "Buddy" at the start of his/her onboarding experience – this Buddy should be someone other than the team member's preceptor.
- Buddy Program Expectations
A detailed overview of the Buddy Program
- Buddy Program Expectations
- Welcome Resources Toolkit
A repository of resources to help welcome and guide a new team member. Samples and templates are provided as a convenience to the hiring department. It is important to modify the documents so that the information is specific and relevant to your department.
- Department Directory Template - A template for creating a departmental directory
- Using Learning Management System (LMS) - A step-by-step guide to using the LMS (NetLearning).
- Equipment List Template - A template for tracking Medical Center property (e.g., keys, VPN, laptop, etc.).
- Guided Department Tour Template - A fillable template for conducting a guided tour of the department and pertinent areas within the Medical Center.
- Independent Department Tour Template - A fillable template for conducting an independent tour of the department and pertinent areas within the Medical Center.
- 50 Things to Enjoy in Charlottesville - An overview of the unique events and activities that occur in the Charlottesville area.