For so many reasons, and in so many ways, this pandemic crisis may be overwhelming to our current coping mechanisms. Stress and negative thoughts can lead to strong, negative, exaggerated, emotional states that need to be managed to prevent future problems or disorders. Trying to cope with the experiences and distress relating to the COVID-19 pandemic crisis can lead to dangerous levels of stress that impact your mental, physical, and emotional health.
The ongoing nature of the COVID-19 crisis raises concerns about dangers in the present and future; so, it requires a special way of stabilization. Our therapists will guide you through a protocol that was specifically adapted for this pandemic by using a special procedure based on Eye Movement and Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR).
EMDR is a physiologically-based approach to processing trauma that helps individuals adapt and respond to trauma and distress more effectively. The EMDR protocol being used is conducted by specially-trained therapists and is known as “Self-Care Procedure for Coronavirus” (SCP-C). SCP-C relates solely to stress or situations associated with the current COVID-19 crisis and is not designed to be used for any other types of psychological trauma. Following a session, you may use this procedure as a self-care tool to use in the future on.
In the event that this procedure does not provide a sufficient reduction in stress or, if you are experiencing other psychological needs, the therapist will refer you to additional support or strongly recommend that you reach out and contact another mental healthcare practitioner immediately.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact:
- UVA Health Mental Health Services
- UVA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for UVA Students
- For UVA Faculty, Staff, and Employees: UVA FEAP | 434.243.2643
- Mental Health America of Virginia Warmline: 1-866-400-6428. Connect with MHAV's Peer-Run Warm Line and other resources for wellness and recovery (9:00 AM to 9:00 PM EST (Mon - Fri); 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM EST (Sat - Sun - Holidays)]
- Virginia COPES Warmline: 1-877-349-6428. Monday–Friday: 9:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. Saturday–Sunday: 5:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Virginia Community Response Network (VCRN): Free Assistance for COVID-19 Emotional Trauma for Frontline Healthcare Providers, Workers, First Responders & their Significant others (up to 5 virtual sessions)
- The Women's Initiative Call-in Wellness Clinic
- Central Virginia Clinicians of Color Network Emotional Support Line
- Region 10
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: (800) 273-8255, available 24/7 | Lifeline Chat
- Region Ten Emergency Services: (434) 972-1800, available 24/7