The Operating Room Committee (ORC) is an interdisciplinary committee charged to coordinate and standardize the care of patients undergoing surgical or other invasive procedures. This Committee oversees clinical practice related to Pre-, Peri- and Post-procedure care. The specific areas include the main OR (MOR), PACU, SAS, PETC and the Outpatient Surgery Center (OPSC).
The committee is responsible for reviewing budgets and making recommendations on capital expenditure and personnel. The committee oversees the equitable distribution of resources, including OR time, within the operative areas to meet the needs of surgical patients with a focus on: patient safety, quality of care, patient satisfaction and fiscal responsibility. The ORC has the authority to establish clinical procedures and policy within the MC Operating Rooms, and recommend policy related to those procedures outside of the OR. The OR Committee is also responsible for incorporating the other Clinical Team members and GME policies into practice. The ORC must work to assure the goals and objectives of UVA Health are met by working collaboratively with the Quality Committee and Patient Safety Committee to monitor and improve care and ensure patient safety. The Associate CMO for Perioperative Services, in conjunction with the Administrator for Perioperative Services, as ORC Co-Chairs, are responsible for monitoring compliance with policies and procedures within the surgical environment. Also, the ORC co-chairs must work with the Department Chairs and Administrative leadership to assure that personnel (including GME trainees, LIP's, nurses and support team members) working in the surgical environment (PACU, SPD/SS, SAS, PETC, MOR, and OPSC) are held accountable to the policies and procedures of the surgical environment.
To accomplish these committee aims and specific operational objectives of the Perioperative environment, the ORC is broken down into subcommittees, with the chair of the subcommittees appointed by the Co-Chairs of the ORC. The subcommittee chair will appoint other members of their own subcommittee with advice from the ORC Co-Chairs. Admin support is provided by OR Administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recommends and approves policy and procedures that are specific to the Perioperative areas, MOR and OPSC.
- Monitors, in conjunction with the chairs and MC and Service Line administrators, physicians and team members adherence to OR, MC and Clinical Staff policies.
- Utilizes evidence-based medicine to recommend changes in clinical practice
- Governs allocation of resources between departments, and where appropriate, surgeons
- Reviews fiscal budgets and makes recommendations on capital expenditures and personnel hiring
- Addresses efficiency and costs associated with OR operations
- Oversees the operation of OPSC working with OPSC directors
- Provides Institutional oversight and direction for faculty and staff education related to operative and invasive procedures and care of the surgical patient
- Ensures an effective process for patient and family education related to surgical care and informed consent.
- Collaborates with other committees to ensure compliance with the Joint Commission and other legal and regulatory standards related to surgical procedures and care of the patient undergoing a surgical procedure.
- Monitors data related to operative and other invasive procedures, including but not limited to:
-- appropriateness of procedure
-- procedural and post procedural complications
-- tissue review - discrepancy between pre-procedure diagnosis and pathological diagnosis
-- anesthesia complications
-- clinical outcomes
-- patient satisfaction
- Monitors adherence to policies and procedures
- Include primary purpose/focus of committee, frequency of meetings
- List subcommittees and chairs of subcommittees (see Appendix 1)
Mark Shaffrey, MD, Co-Chair ACMO, Periop Services
Donna Via, RN, MSN, Co-Chair Administrator, Periop Services
Liz Hall, BBA Director, OR Operations
Peggy McNaull, MD Chair Anesthesia Dept., Main OR Medical Director
Leigh Cantrell, MD OB/GYN and Chair, Robotics Sub-committee
Seth Yarboro, MD Orthopedics
Chris Campbell, MD Plastics
Mark Jameson, MD ENT
Lee Kassell, MD Medical Director, PETC
Tracey Krupski, MD Urology
Worthington Schenk, III, MD Surgery
Jody Reyes, MSBA, BSN, OCN COO
Gene McGahren, MD Peds Surgery, Chair Children’s Hospital
Peter Netland, MD Ophthalmology
Avery Buchholz, MD Neurosurgery
Bruce Schirmer, MD Chair, Tissue Sub-committee
Ashley Shilling, MD OPSC Medical Co-Director
Sean Corbett, MD OPSC Medical Co-Director
Housestaff members representatives, with a combined two-voting seats
Samantha Smith, Anesthesia
Stephanie Caldwell, Anesthesia
Kevin Lynch, Surgery
Christine Tran, Surgery
Heather McMahon, Plastics
Alexandria Marino, Neurosurgery
Kim Sutphin, RN Main OR Director
Lindsey Sites, CRNA CRNA Director Interim
Karen Thomas, RN Manager, PETC and SAS
Angel Cyphert, RN Manager, PACU
Iris Welsch, RN Director, OPSC