Medical Center

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Site Logins
Home > Chaplaincy Services & Pastoral Education > Clinical Pastoral Education > International Exchange Student Information

International Exchange Student Information

Application Information

All prospective international exchange students must complete the ACPE application.  All written materials, transcripts, and other documents must be in English. The $50 non-refundable processing fee should be in American funds--checks and money orders are acceptable forms of payment. Credit cards are not accepted.

Please click here for information regarding immunizations.

  • International students living in the United States with Resident Alien status must provide a copy of their immigration registration card and any other relevant documents such as work permits, green cards, etc.
  • International students with Non-Resident Alien status should apply at least nine months prior to the start of their desired program to allow time for visa processing. (Please see “Visa Information for Non-Resident Aliens.”)

Visa Information

  • Non-Resident Aliens Applying for Summer and Extended Units of CPE: Non-resident aliens ordinarily apply for the J-I Visa after they have been accepted into the Summer or Extended programs. Once accepted, the student should contact the national Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. office (email: acpe@acpe.edu phone: 404-320-1472) to apply for a visa. This visa process can take from 6 (six) to 9  (nine) months to complete and must be obtained before starting CPE. Please remember that it is the Summer/Extended CPE student’s responsibility to coordinate their visa with the ACPE office. Note: If a non-resident alien currently has a multiple entry visa or some other current U.S. entry or immigration document, a copy should be provided at the time of application.
  • Non-Resident Aliens Applying for CPE Residency: Non-resident aliens normally apply for a J-1 Visa after being accepted into the UVa Health System CPE Residency program. J-1 visa applications are coordinated by a UVa visa officer. (The Chaplaincy Department serves as a liaison between the visa officer and the applicant.) Please note: Non-resident aliens selected for CPE Residency should plan on arriving in Charlottesville no less than one month before the program begins.

Interview Information

  • Applicants for Summer and Extended programs must be interviewed by someone who meets ACPE Standards. The interview is best conducted by a UVa Health System ACPE-certified supervisor; however, it may take place with another qualified interviewer. In cases where the interview is conducted by someone other than a UVa supervisor, the applicant must send an interview report to the UVa supervisor and arrange to have a telephone interview with the UVa supervisor.
  • All applicants for CPE Residencies and Supervisory CPE must have a personal interview with the ACPE certified supervisors at the University of Virginia Health System .  For non-resident internationals, a teleconference or other alternative interview procedure may be established, but a direct personal interview is preferable.

Special Notations:

  • This CPE  Center does not offer a stipend/salary for Summer or Extended units. A stipend with benefits is offered to CPE Residents.
  • This CPE  Center does not offer housing for CPE students. Please visit the Blue Ridge Apartment Council or the UVA Housing Division for housing options.
  • Other requirements for international students may apply. For example, the TOEFL examination is required for anyone who is a non-resident alien and speaks English as a second language.

We are available to assist you with any questions you may have about the process. Please contact Chaplaincy Services at 434-924-2642 or email chaplaincy@virginia.edu.