Patient Safety Committee
Administration: Cheryl Skinner
Chair: Jeff Young, M.D.
The Patient Safety Committee is an interdisciplinary committee charged with identifying patient safety risks and hazards within the Medical Center, ensuring appropriate mitigation of those risks, and overseeing the appropriate response to serious preventable harm events. The Patient Safety Committee evaluates and determines appropriate actions to improve patient safety throughout the Medical Center.
Membership: Operational and Clinical Chiefs, leadership from Clinical Staff, Pharmacy, Health Information Technology Services, Resuscitation, and Physician representation from Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesia, Radiology, and GME.
Meetings: The Patient Safety Committee shall meet weekly or as otherwise deemed necessary by the Chair, but not less than monthly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews the findings from the analyses of significantly adverse outcomes to approve or recommend actions designed to mitigate re-occurrence.
- Reviews the findings from the analyses of deaths following local, departmental and Patient Safety Office review and recommends or approves response to learnings.
- Charges Root Cause Analyses when indicated, and approves and monitors corrective action plans.
- Reviews analysis of aggregated, trended data related to patient safety and recommends and monitors actions.
- Refers physician practice issues to existing peer review processes, including M&M conferences, and monitors corrective action plans.
- Provides oversight for Be Safe Events system which serves as the mechanism for all staff and physicians to report patient safety concerns.
- Administers bi-annual Patient Safety Culture Survey to identify opportunities for improvement to strengthen patient safety across the organization.
- Recognizes and celebrates positive staff actions impacting patient safety.
- Provides quarterly summary of sentinel event analysis findings to Quality Subcommittee of the Medical Center Operating Board.
- Provides annual report of activities to Clinical Staff Executive Committee
|Jeff Young, MD, Chair||Chief Patient Safety Officer, Surgery|
|Jim Amato||Chief, Ancillary Services|
|Kevin Greer, MD||Housestaff Council Co-President|
|Bo Cofield, DrPH||AVP for Hospital & Clinic Operations|
|Stacy Crowell||Director, Quality and Performance Improvement|
|Alex Michaels, MD||Housestaff Council Co-President|
|John Dent, MD||Medical Specialties Rep|
|Lorna Facteau, RN, DNsc||Chief Nursing Officer|
|Chris Ghaemmaghami, MD||CMO, Emergency Medicine|
|Robert Gibson, MD||President, Clinical Staff, Cardiology|
|Mark Golub, MD||Radiology & Medical Imaging, Quality Officer|
|Rebecca Hill, SLP||Patient Safety & Risk Management|
|Tracey Hoke, MD||Chief, Quality & Performance Improvement; Pediatrics|
|Rachael Holmes, RN, MSN||Patient Safety & Risk Management|
|Jamie Hughes, RN||Epic, HSTS|
|Jackie Loach, RN||Patient Safety & Risk Management|
|Fred Jung, RN, PhD||Administrator, Performance & Quality Improvement|
|Susan Kirk, MD||DIO and Associate Dean for GME|
|Luke Kohan, MD||Cardiology Fellow|
|Gabrielle Marzani-Nissen, MD||Office of the CMO|
|Beth Mehring, RN||Emergency Management, LSLC|
|Justin Rizer, MD||Emergency Medicine Resident|
|Rafael Saenz, PharmD||Pharmacy|
|Ellen Smith, RN||Patient Safety|
|Robert Thiele, MD||Anesthesiology|
|Deb Wilmoth, RN||Patient Safety & Risk Management|
|Erin Talman, MD||Resident, Emergency Medicine|
|Heather Columbano, MD||Resident, Anesthesiology|
|Lily Johnston, MD||Resident, Surgery|